source.squeak.org for SqueakSource...

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:33:00 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
> I'm certainly happy to set you up with some squeak.org hostname but I
> wonder if this wouldn't be even more confusing than the current
> situation.  I would expect to find the source of Squeak itself at
> source.squeak.org rather than that of external packages.

In the light of the debates around 'forking', the move to a split
between "package maintainers" and "distribution builders", etcetera, I
don't think it is too important where packages are hosted. Nor do I
think that we can really keep up a sensible distinction between
"external" and "internal" packages - look at Monticello,
RefactoringBrowser, OmniBrowser, Traits, etcetera. So I'm not really
subscribing to that argument to keep two repositories.

source.squeakfoundation.org was setup because we thought we might need
a different authorization protocol, or whatever - to give us the
freedom to hack the sources. However, as far as I know (I'm not too
deeply involved with that squeaksource instance), this hasn't
happened. 'inbox' and 'v39a' could run just as well on kilana.unibe.ch
as on box2.squeakfoundation.org.

with an eye towards network effects and reduced maintenance load on
the community, it might be wise to merge both setups and call the
result 'source.squeak.org'...