Installation bsdiff

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Mar 13 16:33:02 UTC 2006

From my local system:

ken at 12-222-173-196:~$ apt-cache show bsdiff
Package: bsdiff
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 76
Maintainer: Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net>
Architecture: i386
Version: 4.3-2
Provides: bspatch
Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1)
Filename: pool/main/b/bsdiff/bsdiff_4.3-2_i386.deb
Size: 11994
MD5sum: a81b11a13330330936dfcbed32bb3131
 bsdiff and bspatch are tools for building and applying patches to
binary files.
 By using suffix sorting (specifically, Larsson and Sadakane's qsufsort)
and
 taking advantage of how executable files change, bsdiff routinely
produces
 binary patches 50-80% smaller than those produced by Xdelta, and 15%
smaller
 than those produced by .RTPatch (a commercial patch tool).

The site appears to be

http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/

This doesn't seem to be in sarge so a simple apt-get install won't quite
do it.  But it's requirements are clearly minor so I see no problem with
this.  I started to just manually download and install it then I
realized that we don't meet the libc dependency.  So instead I decided
to build it from source.  So bsdiff-4.3 is now installed.

Ken