[Box-Admins] Re: [V3dot10] <sin asunto>

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Feb 3 20:02:35 UTC 2007

On 03.02.2007, at 20:02, Doug Way wrote:

> Well, as a starting point, there are the step-by-step instructions
> I left on the http://source.squeakfoundation.org SqueakSource-SqF
> project wiki tab (as you probably know).  Perhaps Bert or someone
> knowledgeable with a more recent setup could comment on whether the
> steps would be roughly the same for setting up a new image with the
> latest & greatest, and which package versions would be needed, and
> whether it would 3.7 or 3.8 or 3.9.
>
> I think that was set up sometime in 2005, so it is getting a bit
> old.  Of course, I don't know if there are new features which are
> really desperately needed or not.  Being able to set more admin
> settings through the UI would be nice.  Does anyone know if the
> newer versions are generally more stable?
>
> As far as whether the current setup saves its metadata in the image
> or serialized into files, I'm 95% sure that it's in files.  (I
> haven't looked in a long time, and for all practical purposes, Ken
> is the current maintainer. :-) )  But I do remember seeing some
> type of metadata files being stored in a directory, and I noted
> that saving the image periodically seemed to be optional.
>
> Would we be able to use the same metadata files (and directory
> structure etc) if we replaced the current squeaksource image with a
> new up-to-date one?

The best would be to coordinate this a bit with Andrian and Phillippe
(who did some work on SqueakSource), they are keeping the
squeaksource.com
setup up to date.

I had this on the todo for some time in the fall to sit together with
Adrian and install the latest version... but we never managed to
actually
find thet time.

I've CC:ed Adrian and Phillipe.

	Marcus