[Box-Admins] Unlimited transfer at hetzner

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jan 4 21:00:32 UTC 2007

On 04.01.2007, at 19:14, Ken Causey wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 13:49 +0100, Marcus Denker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I only realised some days ago that Hetzner changed the traffic policy
>> since a while:
>>
>> http://www.hetzner.de/rootserver_en.html
>>
>> Traffic Usage is for free. We will restrict the connection speed to
>> 10 MBit/s if 1000 GB/month are exceeded. You can request an
>> activation for 250 GB at a time free of charge in your Hetzner
>> administration interface.
>
> Thanks for the info Marcus.  I'm not sure I understand this.
>
> 1.  I'm assuming the default/current connection speed is greater
> than 10
> MBit/s, 100MBit/s?  I wonder if we are likely to notice a performance
> difference if we exceed the threshold.

The current hetzner hardware rented for new contracts
has 1Gbit networking cards, but I have no idea if we have that already.

The internet connectivity of hetzner is:

10 GBit/s LambdaNet
10 GBit/s Noris Network
2 GBit/s DE-CIX
2 GBit/s Tiscali
1 GBit/s Teleglobe
1 GBit/s Cable & Wireless
1 GBit/s KPN EuroRings
1 GBit/s N-IX
-----
28GBit/second for all servers combined.

> 2.  What is the meaning of the activation for 250 GB in the second
> sentence?  Does this mean the traffic usage is free but we still
> have to
> watch it and manually request more?  Or does that request more
> above the
> 1000 GB/Month that triggers the connection speed decrease resulting in
> the connection speed returning to normal?

I think the 250GB then is again full speed. If we do nothing, it's
10Mbit.

	Marcus