[Box-Admins] Achieving redundancy of the website

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Oct 28 22:44:02 UTC 2008

Hi box team,

I subscribed to your mailing list to coordinate common goals and
problems more easily. I'm sure that way we'll be able to make a whole
Squeak infrastructure better and better.

What we need to do first in my opinion is to enhance the availability of
the services, for me as from webteam the website is of primary
importance. During the recent few days downtime I was thinking a lot
about that and decided to propose you a solution, which will reduce such
a downtime to few hours most.

Solution is a classical one: increase redundancy by making a mirror
website, which is in hot backup mode, that is, it can be put online
immediately, just by changing the DNS pointer. I'm actually having such
backup in place for my servers and it works perfect. It is also not hard
to configure, you put a rsync script in place to mirror the changes of
website from time to time, say every day or even every hour.

We need an additional server for that of course, well, for a while I can
offer my one (pingo.eranova.si).

Later we can mirror other services too, ok, mailing list could be harder
to mirror I suppose. But at least we put instructions what to do on the
our website first page in case of such a long downtime.

Best regards
Janko