[Box-Admins] Re: Accessing to ftp again

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue May 5 18:47:07 UTC 2009

Please please please, find something in your native language about the
basics of ssh and asymmetric keys and encryption.  If your ssh client is
setup correctly then your key set IS the authentication mechanism and
the server does NOT ask for a password.  However as mentioned before if
you set a pass-phrase on your key set when you generated it then you
will need to provide that; but the request is local, it is not coming
from the server and I have no control over it.

Let me give some examples:

If I try to connect to a system or account where I have not installed a
public key I get a request like:

$ ssh joe at squeak.org
Password:

This is a request for a password that has been set on the server.  But:

$ ssh kencausey at squeak.org
Enter passphrase for key '/home/ken/.ssh/id_dsa':

This is the way it should look and this is a request for the pass-phrase
you supplied when you created the key set.

If you see the first then you have not installed your private key
correctly or are trying to access the wrong account.  If instead you are
seeing the second then if it is not working then you are supplying the
wrong pass-phrase and I can't do anything about that.

Ken