[Box-Admins] source.squeak.org lockups

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Sep 3 17:56:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 11:27 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> It was not responding today, though still running.
>
> I disabled ~squeaksource/service/run (patching in a "false") and ran
> it under VNC. It showed an error of not being able to connect to the
> local SMTP port for sending out a message. Restarted the method, email
> went out fine.
>
> Since this happened in a separate squeak process I'm not sure why it
> was not serving anymore.
>
> Anyway, right now it's running under vnc again, need to remember to
> switch to a daemon tonight ... or, can we set up to run the vnc
> version as daemeon?
>
> - Bert -

Thanks.

First, I have added your ssh key to the root account so you can use svc
directly in future, as well as any number of other things.

I tried in the past to run squeak under vnc via daemontools but the
complication is that as far as I can tell daemontools assumes that when
it starts something the overall process is represented by a single
parent process ID and that's just not the case here as vnc and squeak
are largely independent of each other.

Perhaps with your script-fu you can work out something.  I frankly
decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble to invest more time into
it.

I'm personally comfortable with running it under vnc without daemontools
for a while.  When Squeak crashes it locks up, doesn't exit, which is
the only way daemontools could help us in that case.  And it's not like
the server is being restarted regularly.