[Box-Admins] Just testing...

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Oct 8 21:42:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 14:09 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> It's awfully quiet on the hosted lists today.  Just checking...
>
> Ken

So, things were not quite right but are hopefully now.

A little story:

Yesterday free RAM was at a particularly low level on the server and I
was casting about for something I could do about the situation.  I
noticed that mailman was using somewhat more RAM than I would expect so
I thought I would restart it on the theory that it may have a bit of a
leak.  Unfortunately for some reason I restarted qmail instead.  I
realized this but thought little of it and went on and restarted mailman
next.  That did help the RAM situation a bit and so I was satisfied and
left things as they were.

Today I was startled to find no new Squeak related email and a survey of
the logs indicated no real email activity at all.  Oddly qmail was
running and accepting incoming SMTP activity with no complaint, but the
activity was not being logged and my test emails were not delivered.
(This is in reply to one of course which was finally delivered by the
end of this story.)

Both mailman and qmail are difficult to stop/restart.  Presumably this
is due to the volume of email the server handles.  As expected when I
restarted them yesterday it took a while but seemed to have worked.
Clearly today's symptoms indicated otherwise.  So I stopped mailman and
stopped qmail again.  This time I checked more carefully and found
numerous qmail processes that weren't stopped even though the init
script reported back that qmail was stopped.  So I killed them all and
started it all back again and after chugging through the backlog for a
while I think things are back to normal now.