[Box-Admins] Permissions

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Sun Feb 6 08:15:04 UTC 2011

Hi all!

Yes, we used rsnapshot earlier, but all though it uses rsync (good for
partial file changes) it ends up using hardlinks etc on the target and
thus consumes quite a bit of space there.

For my local needs (laptop onto a USB vfat drive) I ended up picking
Duplicity the other day. But either way we want a solution that
transfers only modifications.

I would be happy with a solution that simply keeps an offsite "mirror".
Rsnapshot gave us "history" too, and sure, if we can use it then it is
probably a good choice. Ken suspected transfers were large, but I am
unsure, I hope they are not and that it uses rsync for the actual transfer.

Currently I don't have a proper broadband, but if we set up something
that can run "night time" off to people "home computers", then that
should be enough I think. The reason we used a server that my former
employer had was that it was also a Hetzner box so the connection was
really good.

regards, Göran