Backup solutions (was Re: [Box-Admins] Permissions)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Feb 7 20:57:35 UTC 2011

I said:
> Your memory is failing.

Let me nuance this a bit.  I certainly did not use the figure of 500GB
recently.  It is possible that I've used that figure in the past as
there is more than one way to look at this and I could have made a
mistake and counted the entire filesystem size (including the backups).

Originally our plan was to support the usual default rsnapshot backup
plan.  IIRC this is

6 hourly backups              6 * 2GB = 12 GB
7 daily backups               7 * 3GB = 21 GB
4 weekly backups              4 * 3GB = 12 GB
6 monthly backups             6 * 4GB = 24 GB

So based on an educated guess this 'full' backup scheme would likely
come to about 60 (one full, the rest increment)+12+21+12+24 = 129GB.

Also because the backup does not know why a file is deleted and those
deleted files remain in the backup until manually deleted, the backup
continuously grows, this is why the local backup is about 70GB now.

Anyway, it's entirely possible that I said 500GB at some point in the
past based on quick estimation and pessimism.