[Box-Admins] Re: [squeak-dev] source.squeak.org inaccessible

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue Mar 29 22:05:07 UTC 2011

You simply login as the appropriate user for the service, squeaksource
for example, and run vncserver.  The setup for vnc is in ~/.vnc/, most
importantly ~/.vnc/xstartup.  As a prerequisite you must shut down any
existing instance of the squeak process and if it is running under
daemontools shut it down using daemontools so it doesn't start it back
up automatically.  This of course assumes that .vnc/xstartup starts the
Squeak process for you which is what we have tended to do generally.
But I seem to remember that you fiddled with this before regarding the
issue below and it doesn't quite work that way for squeaksource.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly we have never been able to work out a
setup for daemontools that will work with VNC because of the assumption
daemontools makes that there is a single parent process that is
responsible for any subprocesses.

Hence vnc support has to be handled manually.

Ken