Lists behind on Moderation (shame shame) (was Re: [Box-Admins] Cannot clear spam queue on squeak-dev)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 04:29:51 UTC 2011

Inline and somewhat abridged.

On Nov 28, 2011, at 5:36 PM, Ken Causey <klcausey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Casey,
>
> I hope you don't mind my taking this opportunity to also call out a
> few others who have let their lists get behind on moderation.

Not in the least. Sorry guys! I got us in twuble...

> It sounds like you have a valid excuse and so get a pass, but I believe
> these others deserve a rap on the wrist.

There's no such thing as a valid excuse. I'll sign up for that wrist-rapping.

> If you are not going to moderate please set the list to discard all
> messages from all non-subscribers.
>
> Casey: please see in-line comment below.

Done.

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Casey Ransberger
> <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I can't see the list, so there's no way for me to know whether or not there's any legitimate posts in there.
>
> You should be receiving a forward of each message if you are properly
> set as a list moderator.  This can be annoying but if you take the
> time to look through these and, while you are unable to moderate, set
> aside those that are valid then you have the information you need when
> you can moderate again to either quickly find the relevant messages or
> to give me if more manual intervention is required.

Ah! That's what that's for;) I setup an address to catch all that noise. If I am ever unable to get into the moderator interface again, I'll look here. I'm still new to this game, my apologies.

Out of curiosity, have you already nuked the queue? I can check to see if there's anything legit using that address if you haven't blown it out already.

>> FWIW, I haven't seen a legit post in there yet. Clearing it out is probably the best plan.
>>
>> In the future I will be more vigilant about handling this on a weekly basis; my Internet was out for awhile and it took forever to get it fixed. I probably should have tried handling it on my phone, but I didn't think of that (d'oh!)

This looks like an excuse. There aren't valid ones. I offer them from time to time as explanations, but I don't expect the explanation to excuse my failure.

It's just "this is what happened" in debrief. Dig it? I stay culpable, even with explanation.

>> I'm really sorry about the inconvenience. Lesson learned on my part.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Casey
>
> Understood.  And you are welcome,

Which is again much appreciated. I know you want to release the box-admin role and get on with it, so I'm bummed that I had to bother you.