[Box-Admins] Beginners Mailing List Administration/Moderation

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Nov 30 19:09:34 UTC 2011

Thanks Bob,

I've heard from Giovanni and unfortunately work has taken over for him
and he doesn't have time to administer the beginners mailing list any
longer.

As you may be aware there are two categories of 'administrators' for
mailman mailing lists: administrators and moderators.  The way the
list is currently configured you, "Bob Courchaine"
<bobc at nfldinet.com>, are listed as the only 'administrator'.
(Giovanni was one but has asked to be removed and I have done so.)
Then there are three 'moderators': "Thushar G R"
<thushar.gr at gmail.com>, "Michaeal Davies" <mykdavies at gmail.com>, and
"Ziya Suzen" <ziya at suzen.net>.

Moderators have one task which is to deal with the moderation queue
and there is a separate interface with this with a separate password
and this is the only interface to which a moderator would normally
have access.  Administrators on the other hand have full access to the
administrative interface for the mailing list which includes the
moderation queue as well as the overall mailing list settings,
membership management, etc.  An administrator is expected to take
responsibility for the list overall, with backing from the Box Admins
team when needed.

As I said above you are currently listed as an 'administrator' and I
hope you will be willing to take and continue in that responsibility.
Also as I said above there are three others listed as moderator;
presumably, given the size of the moderation queue, they have
forgotten this.  I have included them in the Cc for this email and I
hope they will speak up and be willing to continue in that duty,
assuming it is needed.  Additionally I have Cc'ed Casey Ransberger who
has expressed a willingness to help out if it is needed and you may
want to speak with him if you feel you would appreciate his help.

Assuming you are willing to act as administrator I propose the following:

1.  I generate new administrator and moderator passwords, set them in
the mailman interface, and give these to you.  (In practice the
moderation queue can be accessed with either the administrator or
moderator password.)

2.  I 'nuke' the current moderation queue as it is simply too large to
moderate in a normal fashion.

3.  You continue as before and speak with the other moderators and
possibly Casey about how to proceed with moderation in the future.

Assuming the other moderators are willing to continue in that position
I would ask that they contact you and coordinate with you and get the
moderation password (which I will have given you) from you.

In the long run I think it worth considering eliminating the bulk of
the need to moderate the mailing list by setting the list to discard
all messages from non-subscribers.  The beginners list is one of the
last to not take this step.  The list is a bit different and I
understand why you might want to take this route.  It might be worth
discussing with the list members however.  I can offer the ability to
automatically whitelist anyone who is subscribed already to the
squeak-dev mailing list.

Please get back to me and if you are willing I will start the process
I outlined above.

Thanks,

Ken