[Box-Admins] Re: I spoke too soon - squeak.org is down again

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 01:56:21 UTC 2012

On 12-04-24 9:45 PM, Ken Causey wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Chris Cunnington
> <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> and was permission denied. But if you, as a root person, do that, then the
>> VNC doesn't come up, because the squeak.org process can run either under
>> daemontools or under VNC, but not both.
> Yes, you have to be root to do this.  But DON'T DO THIS if you are
> still using VNC as that will start up yet another process of the
> website and is likely to just make it worse as they both try to
> contend for the same ports.  There is never a need to do both of
> these.
OK, safety tips. If the VNC is running don't create a competing process
by using daemontools.

> All I could do is simply repeat what you have already done which is to
> shut it down with vncserver -kill :1 (this :1 assumes that this is the
> assigned display port stated when vncserver was original run, you can
> also see it in the command line of the XTightvnc command line) and
> then start it back up with vncserver.  After that the problem is
> almost certainly with something in the image and so you will have to
> fix it from there.
>
> So I just tried this and am not able to get into the image via VNC, so
> something is badly messed up with the image.  At that point the only
> choice is to recover from backup.  One piece of information you
> perhaps did not have is that you can find local backups on the system
> under /var/cache/rsnapshot/*/localhost/home/website/ .  It just so
> happens that under
>
> /var/cache/rsnapshot/daily.0/localhost/home/website/website/  (today's backup)

A backup. Nice. The only real upshot of all this is that we learn more
about the system.
Just for my own sanity I have to restate I can't think of anything I did
to contribute to this.

I think Colin should get root access. I can't think of any body more
qualified for the web work side of Smalltalk. At the next SOB meeting.

Thanks again, Ken. It is probably a nuisance to you, but I can't
complain too much as I seem to learn something fascinating each time. At
the same time, though. I'm not touching this system for a few days. I
think my nerves are a little shot.

Cheers,
Chris