[Box-Admins] Cog & box2 = inconclusive

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Apr 30 00:44:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Chris Cunnington
<smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
> I ftp'd into my account on box2 and uploaded a r2522 of Cog and the image
> and changes files I've used on my CentOS box for running websites.
>
> sudo /home/chriscunnington/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2522/squeak -headless
> Squeak4.2-10966.image&
>
> The image was set to run on port 10001. There is a grep'able process for
> that kind of Squeak - #10966 - which I cannot kill. And which produces
> nothing on port 10001.
>
> I use 4.2 as a production image as Ian's RFB, which this image also
> contained, has some kind of error when run in 4.3.
>
> Does this exercise prove anything? I'm not sure. Maybe 10001 is a closed
> port. Maybe Cog doesn't run on:

The version you uploaded works no better, as expected, than the more
recent version I tried for, I believe the very same reason.  Whenever
you install a VM it can be handy just to try the simplest thing
possible, which requires no image or anything else but the binary:

squeak -version

Actually, that option may not work on Cog as it is the classic VM
option, but nonetheless if the VM works at all it should at least
understandably complain that it doesn't understand the option, if not
give you version information.

kencausey at box2:~$ ~chriscunnington/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2522/squeak -version
Floating point exception

So what you have discovered is that the VM you uploaded doesn't work
on the box, at a minimum.

> uname -a
> Linux box2.squeakfoundation.org 2.6.8-2-k7 #1 Tue Aug 16 14:00:15 UTC 2005
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> If I read this correctly, this Debian is a version seven years old.

Well, operating system version is complex when it comes to Linux
distributions.  In this particular case the contents of
/etc/debian_version (3.1) might be more useful and a little research:

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (a.k.a. sarge) was released on 6th of June, 2005.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 has been superseded by Debian GNU/Linux 4.0
(etch). Security updates have been discontinued as of the end of March
2008.

So in some sense, yes it is a version that was released 7 years ago.
That said for some time after that updates were available and
installed, presumably up until about 4 years ago given the
discontinuation date.