[Box-Admins] Cog & box2 = inconclusive

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Apr 30 01:47:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> I ftp'd into my account on box2 and uploaded a r2522 of Cog and the image and
> changes files I've used on my CentOS box for running websites.
>
> sudo /home/chriscunnington/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2522/squeak -headless
> Squeak4.2-10966.image&

It's safer to not use sudo for running VMs which don't need root
privileges. Also -headless is deprecated long ago on unix, use
-vm-display-null and -vm-sound-null instead if you want to use Ian's RFB.
Also note that Ian's RFB is not compatible with Squeak 4.3, it references
a variable which was removed.

> The image was set to run on port 10001. There is a grep'able process for that
> kind of Squeak - #10966 - which I cannot kill. And which produces nothing on
> port 10001.
>
> I use 4.2 as a production image as Ian's RFB, which this image also
> contained, has some kind of error when run in 4.3.
>
> Does this exercise prove anything? I'm not sure. Maybe 10001 is a closed
> port. Maybe Cog doesn't run on:
>
> uname -a
> Linux box2.squeakfoundation.org 2.6.8-2-k7 #1 Tue Aug 16 14:00:15 UTC 2005
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> If I read this correctly, this Debian is a version seven years old.
>
> All our sites are still up. I checked.
>
> And I went through the first two tiers of squeak.org and pruned dead links
> (Teleplace, Croquet, netstyle.ch, etc.). Once I remove the Squeak CD links in
> the menu, I figure it'll be updated enough for first impressions.
>
> I Googled 2.6.8-2-k7 and there are forum references from 2005. This is well
> before Cog was even conceived.

The reason why Cog doesn't work is that it uses SSE2 instructions. Since
the box has an old AMD CPU which doesn't support SSE2 you need to rewrite
a small part of the VM. I did this once, but never tested it and I don't
remember where I put the code/vm. :)

Levente