[Box-Admins] Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakMap: adding/editing releases

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Dec 3 22:58:42 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 01:39 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-12-03, at 19:34, Ken Causey<ken at kencausey.com>  wrote:
>> As Frank has pointed out, what I thought was a no longer existing hostname does in fact still exist; it is just another name for map.squeak.org.  But this may not quite work as well as it once did and really we should have disabled that hostname some time ago.  Since we didn't Google has happily continued to index packages under that hostname.
>>
>> So for now what I have done is change the configuration so that if a map1.squeakfoundation.org URL is used it is automatically redirected to the same map.squeak.org URL and with a permanent redirection status. Hopefully google and other search indexers will register the redirection and correct their indexes.
>>
>> Ken
>

> When we migrate mailman we should get rid of the use of the old url there, too.
>
> - Bert -

I agree.  It's just a bit more complicated there.  There are multiple
aspects of the hostname in that context (mail and http) and multiple
tools that may have expectations about hostnames, versus the one tool
which we (almost exclusively in the form of Goran) built and over which
have more immediate control.  Also I at least perceive that failure of
google links to mailing list archives as a more expensive loss than
links to SqueakMap entries.

I suppose all I'm saying is I have a bit more uncertainty and fear
regarding changing lists.squeakfoundation.org to lists.squeak.org than I
did regarding the SqueakMap issue.  But I certain plan to try to make
that change and to try to have as little impact in the process as
possible.  (i.e. Don't force people to immediately change the mailing
list addresses they use but to do our best to encourage the change as
quickly as possible.)