[Box-Admins] Questionable message in squeak-dev moderation queue

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:46:54 UTC 2012

I'm not sure whether or not to let this one through, and I'd like your
advice.

It's supposedly a Seaside related PDF on a dropbox style site; I note that
malformed PDFs were the most common exploit at least a few years ago. I
don't recognize the senders' address (madelynnsmitherman at ilslv.com.) I have
half a mind to just download the file and see if anything explodes when I
open it, but I would blush something fierce if I got sploited! I'm on a Mac
and most sploits target Windows vulns, but in recent years there are more
and more exploits targeting OS X, so I'm not as confident as I used to be.

I'm marking it as Hold for now.

Here's the message excerpt:

Subject: You have been sent a file (Filename: Seaside-10491.pdf)

Sendspace File Delivery Notification:You've got a file called SeasideS122=
pdf, (724.97 KB) waiting to be downloaded at sendspace.(It was sent by N=
AIDA ).You can use the following link to retrieve your file:DownloadThank=
 you,The best free file sharing service.<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Sendspace File Delivery Notification:<br />

You've got a file called SeasideS122.pdf, (724.97 KB) waiting to be downl=
oaded at sendspace.(It was sent by NAIDA ).<br /><br />

You can use the following link to retrieve your file:<br />

http://likepackers.com/modules/mod_wdbanners/cmgkg.htm">Downlo=

Thank you,<br /><br />
The best free file sharing service.
</BODY></HTML>