[Box-Admins] Added a Jenkins job for tracing a 64-bit image

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 7 20:27:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 04:58:55PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-11-07, at 14:18, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > I added one more Jenkins job called "Squeak 64-bit image". This will
> > hopefully be triggered each time the SqueakTrunk job runs. The output
> > is a copy of the trunk image traced to 64-bit object format.
> >
> > I want to see this run for a few days before I mention it on the
> > squeak-dev list, but I think that this will give us an easy way
> > to maintain a 64-bit version of released images.
> >
> > The build script is actually pretty cool, if you don't mind me saying
> > so. It used to take a lot of manual steps to trace an image to 64 bits
> > and clean up the resulting image to make it look like the original. But
> > this script automates the process with no cleanup required :)
> > The script is here:
> >
> >    http://squeakci.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/ws/TraceTo64.st
> >
> > Dave
>
> Nice. You could move up the quit-without-saving line a bit. Makes it more clear what happens in the tracer image vs the traced image.
>
> And use readOnlyFileNamed: instead of fileNamed:.

Thanks I'll update it.

> Plus a comment why this uses a changeset and file-in instead of MC - less evidence to get rid of, I presume?

Actually, the file-in is being done directly from the SystemTracing-dtl.24.mcz
file, not from a change set. But you are right, the reason is to minimize
the evidence.

The script also opens a new change set, does all the work within that
change set, and deletes the change set when done. The last part of the
cleanup actually happens in the 64-bit image right after the "Execution
resumes here" line. So strictly speaking, the traced image is not cleaned
up until it has been started and saved one time. I guess I should add one
final open-and-resave step to handle this, but I figured nobody would
really notice ;)