[Box-Admins] Yandex thinks squeakfoundation.org has malware, someone should probably check this

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun Nov 25 23:37:30 UTC 2012

On 11/25/2012 05:07 PM, Ken Causey wrote:
> On 11/25/2012 03:05 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>> On 2012-11-25 3:56 PM, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> while trying to unsubscribe a past employee from squeak mailing lists,
>>> I stumbled across a mywot.com warning:
>>> http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/lists.squeakfoundation.org?utm_source=addon&utm_content=rw-viewsc
>>>

>>> which was obviously caused by this yandex.com listing:
>>> http://yandex.com/infected?l10n=en&url=lists.squeakfoundation.org
>>>
>>> Are you aware of this, and have you checked whether the malware is
>>> actually present on the server?
>>> If not, the server should probably checked thoroughly.
>>> Otherwise, if something was there but has been removed in the
>>> meantime, someone should contact yandex to tell them to
>>> re-check.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Hans-Martin
>> Thanks, we'll look into it. I can say that I hope to give that server a
>> viking funeral just as soon as I can. We're moving to a new one.
>>
>> Chris
>
> Thanks for the information. It would be really nice if Yandex would
> provide more specific information. I'm trying to get it but it looks
> like it's a complex process and I'm not even sure I will get what I'm
> looking for (the specific URL that supposedly includes the virus).
>
> Ken

After jumping through a hoop or two I was able to get the exact URL that
Yandex was troubled about.  It was an attachment to an email sent to the
Seaside mailing list in 2004.  I deleted it and have asked to have the
site rechecked which Yandex claims may take several days.  Hopefully
that takes care of that.