[Box-Admins] SqueakTrunk is ready

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Oct 19 21:13:09 UTC 2012

On 10/19/2012 02:45 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> I'll try setting things up within the next few days. I will need sudo
> for installing packages, can someone please add me to /etc/sudoers?
>
> Thanks again,
> Dave

Oops, I missed a step.  You now should have sudo rights.  By the way I'm
doing this on the new server (box3) by add the relevant users to the
sudo group rather than modifying /etc/sudoers.  This is meant to be one
of the 3 steps when adding a user, I guess I should really wrap it in in
a shell script.

Also, regarding installing packages.  Always think twice but ultimately
if it is needed then it is needed and you should install.  In general I
would suggest always doing what needs to be done while giving a bit of
thought to how much trouble it will be to fix or undo if anyone has a
complaint.

BUT, please record all changes to the system at some reasonable level of
detail in the file /root/admin-log.txt.  You can find existing entries
for examples.  This is a continuation of a long time habit within the
box-admins team and an often useful one when you forget how you did
something the last time (like forgetting to add you to the sudo group).
  Or if you need to figure out who to blame and when they did it. :)