[Box-Admins] The story from the log files

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 25 20:40:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 01:04:25PM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> On 2012-10-25 12:50 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> >
> >I doubt logging is a bottleneck, but using a separate log file is
> >useful. It would be good to check the error.log to see if apache is
> >low on resources (or not). Also "top -d 1" can give you hints about
> >what's eating up CPU/memory, or what's waiting for the disk for too long.
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+ COMMAND
> 15277 lewis     20   0 1028m  89m 1300 R  2.0  8.9  18:15.60 squeakvm
>     1 root      20   0  2032  652  556 S  0.0  0.1   0:15.83 init
>
> lewis    15277  2.1  8.8 1053112 91572 pts/0   S    04:40  18:15
> /usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.5-2619/squeakvm -nodisplay
> /home/lewis/VMUnixBuild/Squeak4.3.image
> /home/lewis/VMUnixBuild/VMUnixBuild.st
>
> That is consistently at the top of top -d 1. This VPS has 1G of RAM.

Oops, sorry about that. If it happens again feel free to "sudo killall squeakvm"
for me.

FYI, I do now have a reasonably safe build script in place, despite
the above glitch. There is a shell script ~lewis/VMUnixBuild/makevm
that runs a Squeak script ~lewis/VMUnixBuild/VMUnixBuild.st. The
shell script has a watchdog loop that is supposed to kill the Squeak
process if it runs longer than 30 minutes (which does in fact happen
sometimes).

If everything works properly, the full script runs for about 8 minutes.
The end result is a tarball containing bleeding edge Unix and VMM-generated
sources. These are currently located in ~lewis/VMUnixBuild/TARBALL, and
logging output from the script is in ~lewis/VMUnixBuild/LOGS.

The script does a complete VM compile before making the tarball, which
ensures that each tarball contains a set of sources that is consistent
enough to build a VM if you were to download it to your own Linux
box and do the configure/make for yourself.

I don't have a clue how Jenkins works yet, but presumably the next
step would be to wire this into the Jenkins environment so the
script could run daily, and provide the latest tarball as the build
artifact.