[Box-Admins] Weekly Roundup

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:10:24 UTC 2012

I just want to sum up some things that happened with the box and Jenkins
this week:

- We have Jenkins running behind its domain squeakci.org. It comes up
reliably now, but there is around a twenty second wait, which is too long.
- The /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log is around 2.5G now. That
means its growing at .3G a day.
- We were being used as an open proxy and have done everything
conceivable to stop it. The log now says that we still get lots of
requests to do this and that they all get 403 responses. I'm unfamiliar
with this as it didn't happen on my ServerBeach server (the one I'm
about to shutter).  I can't help feel it's a kind of low level DDOS and
that even with 403 responses it likely affects the ability of people to
reach our Jenkins server
- I've launched a 4.4 image with Altitude and RFB in the server. Using
RFB I can see that the problem of Altitude not finding libsys is there.
All the Linux FFI tests run green so that's not the problem. I figure
I'll create a symlink between where FFI looks for things and
/usr/lib/libsys*

Some things we want to do next:

- Dave has a vm build script that returns a tarball of VMM-generated
sources. We want to make that a daily build on the Jenkins server and
produced a downloadable artifact
- Levente has suggested making Jenkins listen only on the local
interface, and to
- add a firewall to the server while moving port22 requests to another
port.

An observation:

- Between the Jenkins server, compiling vms, and deploying an Altitude
website, I think we are starting to crowd this server which only has 1G
of RAM.

Chris