[Box-Admins] Weekly Roundup

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:32:08 UTC 2012

On 26 October 2012 17:10, Chris Cunnington
<smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just want to sum up some things that happened with the box and Jenkins
> this week:
>
> - We have Jenkins running behind its domain squeakci.org. It comes up
> reliably now, but there is around a twenty second wait, which is too long.
> - The /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log is around 2.5G now. That
> means its growing at .3G a day.
> - We were being used as an open proxy and have done everything conceivable
> to stop it. The log now says that we still get lots of requests to do this
> and that they all get 403 responses. I'm unfamiliar with this as it didn't
> happen on my ServerBeach server (the one I'm about to shutter).  I can't
> help feel it's a kind of low level DDOS and that even with 403 responses it
> likely affects the ability of people to reach our Jenkins server
> - I've launched a 4.4 image with Altitude and RFB in the server. Using RFB I
> can see that the problem of Altitude not finding libsys is there. All the
> Linux FFI tests run green so that's not the problem. I figure I'll create a
> symlink between where FFI looks for things and /usr/lib/libsys*
>
> Some things we want to do next:
>
> - Dave has a vm build script that returns a tarball of VMM-generated
> sources. We want to make that a daily build on the Jenkins server and
> produced a downloadable artifact

Wouldn't it be better to trigger on commits to svn and/or vm-dev
notifications? (The former's just a plugin, the latter's just reusing
Levente's polling script.)

frank

> - Levente has suggested making Jenkins listen only on the local interface,
> and to
> - add a firewall to the server while moving port22 requests to another port.
>
> An observation:
>
> - Between the Jenkins server, compiling vms, and deploying an Altitude
> website, I think we are starting to crowd this server which only has 1G of
> RAM.

The solution here is to use other machines as the build agents. I'm
trying to find some kind of offline system where Jenkins can say
"there's a build due for this project" and other machines can watch
for this without, say, being reachable from Jenkins (being always-on,
in other words). This would let volunteers donate their machines
without exposing same. But this doesn't solve the issue at hand.

frank