[Box-Admins] Weekly Roundup

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Oct 26 18:12:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 05:32:08PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:

> > - Dave has a vm build script that returns a tarball of VMM-generated
> > sources. We want to make that a daily build on the Jenkins server and
> > produced a downloadable artifact
>
> Wouldn't it be better to trigger on commits to svn and/or vm-dev
> notifications? (The former's just a plugin, the latter's just reusing
> Levente's polling script.)

The VM actually includes various plugins from repositories outside of
the VMMaker repositories. Evaluating "VMMaker updateFromServer" attempts
to load the latest of everything, and that is part of the build script.
I'm not sure how reliable it is, but at least that's what it's attempting
to do.

> > - Levente has suggested making Jenkins listen only on the local interface,
> > and to
> > - add a firewall to the server while moving port22 requests to another port.
> >
> > An observation:
> >
> > - Between the Jenkins server, compiling vms, and deploying an Altitude
> > website, I think we are starting to crowd this server which only has 1G of
> > RAM.
>
> The solution here is to use other machines as the build agents. I'm
> trying to find some kind of offline system where Jenkins can say
> "there's a build due for this project" and other machines can watch
> for this without, say, being reachable from Jenkins (being always-on,
> in other words). This would let volunteers donate their machines
> without exposing same. But this doesn't solve the issue at hand.

A much better place to do VM builds is on squeakvm.org, and Ian Piumarta
has indicated to me that he would prefer to have things done there anyway.
So if we need to move the processing off of box3, I'd be inclined to just
see if I can get Ian to give me a hand setting it up on the squeakvm box
(which after all he has managed for the benefit of the community for
many years now).

Right now I'm just working on getting the VM tarball build to be reliable
and repeatable, and I don't have any experience with Jenkins at all. But
maybe once we get something up and running we can take a look at moving
the processing off to another box.