[Box-Admins] Collecting details to send to the SFC

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:02:47 UTC 2012

So it's morning in Toronto. Around seven or eight hours from now I'll
send details about the server we want from Gandi to the SFC. If you have
any ideas about it, please send them before then. Say, 4pm EST.

The name we have is box3.squeak.org.

The idea is that we plan to expand our Jenkins usage substantially and
so this server will have a much larger need to support that than the
usage we have a the moment.

Levente has run some numbers:

"During the weekend I installed Jenkins on our VPS at Hetzner. It uses
about 170 MB memory and 50 MB disk space alone. I added the SqueakTrunk
job from squeakci.org to it, which updates a Trunk image and runs the
tests. That job creates about 25 MB of data each build (image file,
changes file). Since the test fires up a CogVM with a Trunk image,
additional 20 MB of memory is being used during the build.

So even a single Share Gandi VPS could run Jenkins right now, but we
only have 3 jobs yet (2 working atm). The goal is to have like 10+ of
them. I expect every job to be run twice a day on average when automatic
triggers are installed. So 10 jobs, 2 builds per job per day and 25 MB
extra disk space per build means, 500 MB new data per day (the VM
building jobs might require less space per build and we might not keep
the artifacts of all builds, so this is more like an upper bound).

I think at least 2 Shares (1 CPU, 1GB RAM, 20 Mbps guaranteed bandwidth)
and 60 GB disk space (10 GB for the OS and environment + 100 days build
history with artifacts) is enough for Jenkins."

1 GB RAM seems kind of low to me. But in the absence of anything else,
I'll send those specs as is.

Thanks,
Chris