[Box-Admins] Re: Squeak Gandi server

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 21:21:11 UTC 2012

> So, our options would be to have 38 (and growing!) accounts, one for
> each Conservancy project, and somehow transfer money between them (which
> I don't think is even possible), or this problem: which is that
> individual projects can't reboot, change the kernels, etc.  I wrote to
> the VP at Gandi who coordinated this initial donation and am talking
> with other folks I know at various VPS providers to see what else I can
> learn about this problem.  I have confirmed that OpenStack doesn't
> support this feature, nor is it on its roadmap, which means it's
> unlikely that any OpenStack-based provider would have this feature.

Guys, I'm always learning new admin stuff, thanks for your patience
but -- What happens when one of the 38 locks up and needs a reboot;
does squeak.org and 36 others go down briefly or is it just SOL for
the guy who locked up?  Didn't we just need a reboot just a few days
ago?  I'm confused but what all besides "full control" of our machine
do we lose without the console?  I understand this is less an issue
for only a CI server, but in the context of everything we have
currently on Hetzner; would this be an issue?