[Box-Admins] Re: SqueakSource

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 24 00:26:02 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 03:18:19PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi!  Ok so there are a couple of questions and potential answers brewing.
>  How to host?  Where to host?
>
> David Lewis expressed that we should recover the actual SS instance and
> stabilize it.

My immediate concern is to move the existing squeaksource.com to a new
home that is stable, supportable, and sustainable for the long term. My
hope is to accomplish that migration within days, not weeks. Once that
has been completed, all options should be open as far as I'm concerned.
But for now my only objective is to achieve operational stability and a
sustainable support process for squeaksource.com.

Just to check my understanding, the reference to hosting by Robert Hirschfeld's
group is for future consideration, and not something that I need to worry
about to the migration plan for the next few days, is that right?

> This may include bringing it up to a more modern,
> Cog-supported Squeak image.  I am working on doing this for
> source.squeak.org and so I hope that effort can overlap this one.

Yes for sure, it is important to get source.squeak.org and squeaksource.com
onto a common code base and support structure in order to minimize the total
support requirement. One way or another, I am quite confident that this will
resolve the reliability and performance problems that have plagued squeaksource
in the past.

But first things first, I'm still trying to copy files, including well over
15 GB of compressed project files. Firefox says it might be done after another
23 hours and 10 minutes or so ... then I'll need a box on squeak.org to unpack
them on.

Dave