[Box-Admins] Re: SqueakSource

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Aug 26 22:39:28 UTC 2013

Hi

Am 27.08.2013 um 00:16 schrieb Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu>
:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>>        Sorry, I also do not understand what you mean by the original design being “hacked” for image-based persistence.
>> Yes, I was referring to SSO, which is running a slightly newer/forked version of SqueakSource and using the save-the-image persistence.
>> SSO is also running on an old version of Squeak and old VM.  Whatever is good for the SS upgrade will be good for SSO and vice-versa.
>
> The only reason why SSO is running on an old VM is that the server's CPU doesn't support SSE2 instructions, so it can't run Cog VMs.

I see

> And don't forget that Bert implemented extra features for SqueakSource2 (the thing we use for SSO) to support the Trunk process.

I wont forget, because I integrated them into SS3 :)

> What are the advantages of using Gemstone instead of Squeak?

From my experience: Stability, Speed, and ease of Integration.
- Stability:
  - when I switched from the squeak-based SS at my site to the SS3 based one,
    my unexpected downtimes went from
    twice a day for at last half an hour to
    once in three years.
- Speed:
  - In our group, we experienced, that the response-time of SS3 was better
    than the image-based one. Recently we had to tweak things for performance,
    and a severa-thousand version project on ss3.gemstone.com went from over 50s
    load time to .4s (listing of all verisons)
- Integration:
  - With Fcgi and daemontools, I was able to have a nice integration in my web
    infrastructure, reliably coming up again after failure (this is more of
    a GLASS feature)
  - I have introduced several hooks to easily extend and strip down SS3,
    you can have a minimal version without Filesystem support or commit-mails,
    or a full-fledged SS3 with additional plugins. Some students that took a class
    at our group developed direct CI-integration for SS3, for example (I presented
    their work at the ESUG in Edinburgh in 2010)
    (I primarily use the  plugin mechanism to display a legally necessary imprint
     on our groups SS3).

Best
	-Tobias