Build.squeak.org and squeaksource.com in danger (was Re: [Box-Admins] Disk space usage on box3)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Dec 6 17:40:54 UTC 2013

On 12/06/2013 11:19 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Thanks Ken,
>
> I will look at it as soon as I get home, about 8 hours from now.
>
> Frank,
>
> There's not much I can do on the squeaksource.com side other than move the
> repository to another box (which is not easy to do). Short term we need to
> tidy up the build.squeak.org jobs where can can.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave,

I agree that it is probably easier to find some space to clear up under
build.squeak.org but I think the community as a whole has to give some
serious thought to the future of squeaksource.com.

It seems to me that at least a couple GB could be cleared up by
archiving some old dead projects (I have a couple I should do so with
but I doubt they amount to much) and migrating away more active ones.
Ideally the owners of those projects would stand up and volunteer
therefore avoiding a sequester-style across the board trim.  Frankly I
think squeaksource.com must be closed to all writes and serve a purely
archive function, at best given the resources we have currently.

If someone else doesn't do so I may call for volunteers to archive and
move existing projects myself next week on squeak-dev.  I'm hoping we
can at least come up with some space savings in the short term that will
give us some weeks to think and discuss.

Regarding moving squeaksource.com to another server: we do have another
server where there is more space but that is technically designated for
other purposes.  The sad fact is that there is not a lot more space
available on box3 and box4 combined than we have on the old box2 server.

Server  Total HD Size

Box2       146GB (aka squeak.org, lists.squeakfoundation.org, etc.)
Box3        60GB
Box4       103GB

The new additions build.squeak.org and squeaksource.com currently add up
to about 54GB.  I think you will agree that the math here does not work out.

I guess my point is that moving squeaksource.com (to any other existing
server we have), as a solution, is only a temporary solution.