Build.squeak.org and squeaksource.com in danger (was Re: [Box-Admins] Disk space usage on box3)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 7 15:37:23 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:17:06AM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> I mailed Ken separately, but the time zone happy conjunction must have
> just passed. I'd have solved the problem (wipe out the
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk/target/ directory (5.9GB)) except that I can't sudo
> because I don't know the password for the account (because I don't
> think I ever actually set it)! If some kind soul can change it and let
> me know the password, I'll (a) change it to something only I know and
> (b) wipe out the directory causing the problem.
>
> As a separate step, we can think about how to both produce versioned
> artifacts (i.e., zipfiles with versions in their file names) and not
> eat all the disk space.
>
> frank

Hi Frank,

Cool, I think we just came to the identical conclusions :) I was just
about to send the following email to you before I read this, so here
is what I was going to say:

I think we can pretty easily free up a bunch of disk space. It turns out
that our SqueakTrunk job is currently using 44% of the entire disk space
on box3, and a lot of that can probably be freed without harming anything
for the SqueakTrunk job itself.

Here are some things I think we can do, but I want to run it by you before
actually changing anything:

1) The build artifacts are TrunkImage.changes, TrunkImage.image,
TrunkImage.manifest and TrunkImage.version. The image and changes files
take most of the space, so we could add a build step to compress them
like this:

$ zip TrunkImage.zip TrunkImage.changes TrunkImage.image TrunkImage.manifest TrunkImage.version
  adding: TrunkImage.changes (deflated 77%)
  adding: TrunkImage.image (deflated 54%)
  adding: TrunkImage.manifest (deflated 54%)
  adding: TrunkImage.version (stored 0%)

Then we can specify TrunkImage.zip as the build artifact. This will save
a lot of disk space in the future.

2) The Jenkins job is saving all of the build artifacts since we began
running the job.  I'm not sure if that's what you want it to do, but if
the old artifacts are not needed, then we can change the job configuration.
In the "Archive the Artifacts" section of the job configuration, there
is a setting for "Discard all but the last successful/stable artifact to
save disk space". That might more aggressive that we want, but there must
be some setting that would let us trim the archives down to what we really
need.

3) If we run out of disk space and need to take emergency action, we can
just compress the older build artifacts (from the unix command line). It's
probably not good to do this outside of Jenkins tools, but at least we would
not lose the actual data, and it would free up a lot of disk space right away.

4) If we don't need all of the historical artifacts, and if we can't figure
out how to trim them down through Jenkins job configurations, then I can
delete the older ones from the unix command line.

5) Not directly related to disk space, but we should probably also enable the
"Abort the build if it's stuck" option under "Build Environment". We can set
it to time out after 30 minutes or so, and I think that might cure our problem
with stuck ruby and squeakvm processes.

Dave