[Box-Admins] Re: [squeak-dev] Release 4.4?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Feb 4 19:07:13 UTC 2013

On 02/04/2013 02:21 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 4 February 2013 00:52, Colin Putney<colin at wiresong.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Frank Shearar<frank.shearar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hm, first I've heard of that. Where is it?
>>>

>> http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/
>
> OK, I've flagged it as an issue with box-admins, and added an entry to
> the release process at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189
>
> frank

OK, the summation here is that only root or the owner of the directory
(website is going to be able to 'update' a symbolic link within said
directory.  This is not something I had previously fully appreciated and
so my setting the owner of these links to updates does not help users
who can access the updates account despite the appearances, sorry about
that.

Basically there is no way to modify an existing symbolic link, to change
it you have to remove and recreate it.  So if you don't have write
access to the directory, even if you  have write access to the link, you
are out of luck.

I fixed the current_development and current_stable links.  I also went
ahead and created a 4.5alpha directory.