[Box-Admins] NTP?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:30:50 UTC 2013

On 2 January 2013 14:23, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2013-01-02 9:20 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>> On 2 January 2013 14:15, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> OK, I'm awake now. Network Time Protocol daemon.
>>> No, it doesn't have that.
>>>
>>> I hit the link above and saw a timing statement for box3 and your
>>> FreeBSD.
>>> You find that box3 and your server are out of sync and need to be in
>>> better
>>> sync? Is that situation here?
>>
>> Yes, and the right way to get them in sync is for squeakci.org to have
>> (and keep) the right time, through ntp. That lets us not go crazy when
>> debugging things between slave and master.
>>
>>> I haven't seen your FreeBSD box before. Please tell me what you're doing
>>> better assist you.
>>
>> I'm experimenting with having machines run headless slaves so that the
>> community at large can, say, test builds on Windows machines, OS X
>> machines, and so on.
>>
>> So as a minimal test, I'm trying out my FreeBSD because (a) I have it
>> running and (b) FreeBSD doesn't get as much love as it should.
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> Chris
>

> OK, It's running on the process list and gives the time as thus. [1] Please
> try that. I must go and get a coffee, so if it needs tuning, etc. I'll be
> back in half an hour.

Great, thanks! You can check on the quality of the time by running
ntpq. This will give you a prompt, and entering "pe" will show you the
upstream time servers ntp's using. Note the "offset" column. That's
millisecond values and should be very low. (My desktop's currently
3.770ms off Ubuntu's idea of the current time, and my FreeBSD box is a
huge 0.294 ms off the right time.) Oh, some lines will start with one
of -+*: * is the currently selected best candidate, + servers look
like good time sources, and - servers are outliers: their time is not
of sufficient quality to be selected.

frank