[Box-Admins] Long running build process on build.squeak.org?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Jan 14 16:32:30 UTC 2013

On 01/14/2013 07:24 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Good idea to add a watchdog timer. Another good practice is to use
> the 'nice' command (/usr/bin/nice) in the command lines that run Squeak.
> This runs the tests at lower scheduling priority, so if a process gets
> stuck consuming close to 100% cpu, it impact on other system users will
> be reduced (it will still gobble up all the cpu, it just won't drag the
> system down so badly).
>
> I don't know what the problem was in this particular case, but one
> thing that can result in Squeak consuming 100% is an error in the image
> that causes too much memory usage, such as a recursion error. Squeak
> keeps asking for more memory, the VM asks the OS for more, and eventually
> you are swapping. If this turns out to have been the problem, you can
> prevent the runaway memory condition with the '-memory' command line
> option to the VM (but don't do that unless we can confirm that it really
> *is* the problem, I'm just mentioning it for future reference).
>
> Dave

I could be misunderstanding but I don't think this is it.  From the ps
output: '1054380 24552'.  These are respectively the VSZ (kbytes,
virtual memory size) and RSS (kilobytes, resident set size).  The
relevant number being the second and which is really quite low for a
Squeak process, while still being within the expected range of course.