[Box-Admins] Re: [Squeak 0007752]: make a currentStable.zip and a latest.zip on the ftp server

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 20:12:39 UTC 2013

Hi Frank,

Ahh gotcha re:ReleaseSqueakTrunk.  I don't think that's what I want.

What I'm desiring is two zip archives each in a constant location with a
constant name with changing contents.  The contents  of one being the
'current release' or 'current stable' version of squeak (e.g.
Squeak4.4-12327.image + Squeak4.4-12327.changes + SqueakV41.sources
right now but ??? when 4.5 comes out) and the contents of the other
being 'current development' (e.g. Squeak4.5-12511.image +
Squeak4.5-12511.changes + SqueakV41.sources right now but ??? in the
future).

Sounds like the ReleaseSqueakTrunk has the 'current development' version
but the 'archive.zip' file doesn't have the sources, and the image and
changes seems oddly nested in three zips inside that zip.

These scripts: https://github.com/pdebruic/Squeak-All-In-One could be
made to just make the all-in-one if there was a place to reference where
to get the Release image, changes and sources without anyone ever doing
anything other than starting them.  And also a current_development
all-in-one.  The scripts could extract the version name from the name of
the image file and then the only thing that would require manual
intervention is when Eliot releases a new VM version.  And even that
could probably be figured out from his website.

Plus links on the website wouldn't need to be edited each time there is
a 'release' or new 'development' version and also people wouldn't need
to go poking around trying to find the most recent stable or latest dev
versions of the image,changes, and sources as they'd *always* be at

ftp://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/currentStable.zip

and

ftp://ftp.squeak.org/current_development/currentDevelopment.zip

I don't think the image/changes/sources needs to be called
Squeak-stable.image or some such.  I think it could still be called
Squeak4.4-12327.image.   Just that the place to get them and the name of
the archive they are in stay the same.  Then you can easily make a
versioned all-in-one (e.g. Squeak4.4-All-in-One.zip) and a 'current
stable' all-in-one (e.g. Squeak-Stable-All-In-One.zip) which you also
put at a constant location.

Anyways I need to stop procrastinating by working on this.

On 03/06/2013 11:34 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> [...]
>
> is what you're looking for, I think. Each run of this job also
> produces a named artifact (the contents of archive.zip):
> http://build.squeak.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/Squeak4.5-12511.zip
> for instance.
>
> Dale Henrich's builderCI stuff uses this so that Github based projects
> using FileTree (https://github.com/frankshearar/Control for instance)
> can run Travis CI jobs on every commit.
>
> frank
>
> On 6 March 2013 19:27, Paul DeBruicker <pdebruic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No.  I did not mean an all in one.  I didn't know about the
>> ReleaseTrunk.  What is that and where can I learn about it?
>>
>> I meant just a zip or tgz file with the stable image,changes, sources
>> file that could then be used as an input for the all-in-one or something
>> to point someone at to say:
>>
>> 'Get the latest stable image, sources, changes from:
>> ftp.squeak.org/curent_stable/currentStable.zip'
>>
>> rather than
>>
>> 'Get the latest stable from
>> ftp.squeak.org/curent_stable/Squeak4.4-12327.zip and then you'll need
>> the sources which are, IIRC,  SqueakV41.sources and not the
>> SqueakV44.sources'
>>

>> And same thing for the latest trunk stuff.
>>
>> Anyway thats what I had in mind when I made the issue.
>>

>> On 03/06/2013 11:09 AM, box-admins at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:
>>>
>>> A NOTE has been added to this issue.
>>> ======================================================================
>>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7752
>>> ======================================================================
>>> Reported By:                pdebruic
>>> Assigned To:                FrankShearar
>>> ======================================================================
>>> Project:                    Squeak
>>> Issue ID:                   7752
>>> Category:                   Release Packaging
>>> Reproducibility:            always
>>> Severity:                   minor
>>> Date Submitted:             03-06-2013 17:04 UTC
>>> Last Modified:              03-06-2013 19:09 UTC
>>> ======================================================================
>>> Adding a currentStable.zip and latest.zip that inlcude the image, changes,
>>> and sources would make it easier to script the creation of the
>>> All-In-Ones.
>>>

>>> They could go here:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/
>>>
>>> and here:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.squeak.org/current_development/
>>>
>>> respectively

>>>  FrankShearar - 03-06-13 19:09
>>> ReleaseTrunk already produces a current-development artifact. Do you mean
>>> this ticket to say "produce an All-in-One artifact"?
>>>
>>> Issue History
>>> Date Modified   Username       Field                    Change
>>> 03-06-13 17:04  pdebruic       New Issue
>>> 03-06-13 17:04  pdebruic       Status                   new => assigned
>>> 03-06-13 17:04  pdebruic       Assigned To               => FrankShearar