[Box-Admins] DNS Changes Upcoming/Deprecation of SqueakFoundation.org (2nd sending)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Mar 8 13:42:59 UTC 2013

(I sent this in early January but have had absolutely no response.
Frankly I have to admit I haven't been making great progress on my end
although it is happening.  However it will all be for naught if the
changes outlined below, which I can't directly cause to happen, are not
made.  If you get this and can't help make the changes directly you may
be able to help if you can contact one of those who can.  Please help.)

We are soon to shut down the old Hetzner hosted server
(box2.squeakfoundation.org) which will be replaced with a couple of
Gandi.net VPSs for our server infrastructure.  One of the earlier steps
in that is to setup DNS on the new systems and update our domain names
so that they are listed as the primary DNS servers.

In the process of this I believe one thing we would like to do is to, as
much as reasonable, replace the use of squeakfoundation.org host names
with squeak.org host names.  For example lists.squeak.org rather than
lists.squeakfoundation.org.  It is not my intention to break anything,
as much as I can I intend to have the old host names work as well as the
new, but squeak.org host names will take primacy.

A crucial part of this is that the root DNS name server records for the
name servers for these domain names will need to be updated.

On the one hand they will need to be updated to reflect the fact our DNS
servers are moving and so the IPs are changing.

Secondarily, consistent with the deprecation of the squeakfoundation.org
domain name, the host names that are used for the DNS servers also need
to be changed.

To make this clearer the CURRENT situation is that

At Network Solutions:

	Host name records exist for:

		a.ns.squeakfoundation.org (85.10.195.197)
		b.ns.squeakfoundation.org (69.72.148.198)

	The domain squeak.org is configured to use the hosts above for DNS servers.

At Gandi:

	The domain squeakfoundation.org is configured to use
a.ns.squeakfoundation.org, b.ns.squeakfoundation.org, and ns6.gandi.net
for its DNS servers.

I would like to have the above UPDATED in the following fashion:

At Network Solutions:

	Update the domain squeakfoundation.org so that it uses

		a.ns.squeak.org (173.246.104.42)
		b.ns.squeak.org (173.246.101.237)

	for its DNS servers.

	And remove the root host name records for a.ns.squeakfoundation.org and
b.ns.squeakfoundation.org entirely.

At Gandi:

	Add root host name records for

		a.ns.squeak.org (173.246.104.42)
		b.ns.squeak.org (173.246.101.237)

	Update the squeak.org domain name so that it uses

		a.ns.squeak.org (173.246.104.42)
		b.ns.squeak.org (173.246.101.237)
		ns6.gandi.net (217.70.177.40)

	for its DNS servers.

	Update the setup for ns6.gandi.net so that it looks to a.ns.squeak.org
as it's primary for squeak.org.

I know this is a lot of information and I may not have made it as clear
as it could be.  If you think you may have some responsibility to do
something regarding this but you aren't sure what, feel free to contact
me and I will try to be more specific as to how you can help.  There is
no immediate rush but preferably all this should be completed ASAP in
preparation for closing down the old server.

Thanks!

Ken Causey