[Box-Admins] Slowness of source.squeak.org

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 21:02:51 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Clearly, something is wrong.
>>
>> top shows the box quite busy.  One of the tasks is:
>>
>> /bin/cp -al /var/cache/rsnapshot/daily.0/ /var/cache/rsnapshot/daily.1/
>>
>> owned by root.  Is someone doing some sort of big copy?
>

> That's probably a script doing the daily backups.

Hm, still running.

>> The squeaksource process supporting source.squeak.org is also railing
>

> That probably means that full GCs are happening too often, which can be a
> sign of running low on external semaphores. It's hard to investigate it
> without having access to the box, but if I were you, I would simply restart
> it.

Is there anything I can do to help you get access?  Wasn't your
public-key ever copied into the .ssh directory?  I can't remember
exactly which subdir it goes into, but I don't have access to
/root/.ssh anyway.

I don't know how to restart it.  I tried killing the process by pid
but it said "Operation not permitted".  Who has sudo access on this
box?

>> on the CPU.  I even see some qmail processes, anyone know about this?
>

> Probably the mailing list. Hard to tell if it's normal or not, but it
> probably is.
>

>> qmailr   28180 2063 0 19:57 ?        00:00:00 qmail-remote
>> earthlink.net squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>> ademkin at earthlink.net
>> qmailr   28181 2063 0 19:57 ?        00:00:00 qmail-remote
>> earthlink.net squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>> charleshixsn at earthlink.net
>> qmailr   28182 2063 0 19:57 ?        00:00:00 qmail-remote
>> earthlink.net squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>> shaping at earthlink.net
>> qmailr   28183 2063 0 19:57 ?        00:00:00 qmail-remote
>> earthlink.net squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>> agantoniii at earthlink.net
>

> Pasting emails is not nice :).

This is a relatively private list and I just want to get things fixed.

Now there are 8 emails "backed up".  The 4 above plus 4 more.