[Box-Admins] Slowness of source.squeak.org

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Nov 4 22:10:07 UTC 2013

On 4Nov, 2013, at 16:58, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know why daemontools didn't start it automatically, but as I was sitting there, waiting for it, I realized how much I dislike not being in control of whether the process is running or not...

Heh. Risking that one of my few postings here is going to be classified as off-topic, you remind me of Management. Starting with the bit of being in control…

Daemontools is your minion. It will do menial work, and is quite good at it. However, as any manager can tell you, underlings are dumb and need to be told very precisely wat to do.

What most underlings can tell you, is that when the manager gets impatient, bypasses the underling, and just executes some random actions, it usually ends up in a mess. As any underling can tell you, managers are dumb.

;-)

Anyway, the two processes, the “sudo” and the “squeak”, are what you expect when manually starting squeak source through sudo. In the meantime, daemontools is trying to start a second copy, failing all the time. We should be logging this, emitting a “Restarting…” from the run script is much easier.

I don’t want to jump in and mess around, but the two processes need to be killed and then proper analysis on why daemontools cannot restart the image needs to be done. More than happy to help but with a Skype chat or similar to sync stuff :)

Hth,

Cees