[Box-Admins] For information - possible squeaksource.com issue

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Nov 11 19:00:26 UTC 2013

I have repaired the broken squeaksource.com image and reloaded it on box3.
As far as I can tell, no data was lost and nothing bad happened aside from
a couple of very brief outages as I was discovering and then fixing the problem.

Good news: We now have a snapshot of an image that captures the problem
and that can be used for debugging. I am looking at it now, and anyone
else who might be interested can download it from box3.squeak.org. The
backup is in /home/ssdotcom/SqueakSource/BACKUPS/ss-image-save-20131111.tgz.

This problem has definitely happened before, both on the old squeaksource.com
image from SCG, and also on the new image that is based on source.squeak.org.
I think it is quite likely that source.squeak.com was in this condition at
the time of our recent failure, and that is my working assumption at this
point.

I also corrected the problem in which VNC access was not available when
an error occurred in startUp processing.

Here is what I did to repair the image:

- First, open a process browser and note the runaway session handlers.
	ProcessBrowser open.

- Then kill runaway processes:

	Process allInstances do: [ :each |
		each priority = 30 ifTrue: [
			each terminate ] ].

Get a clean image restart by temporarily commenting out the line
"SSKom startOn: self port" in the SSRepository class>>startUp: method.

Then close all the debug notifiers, save the image, and restart it.

Restore SSRepository class>>startUp: to its previous version.

Move the RFBServer up in the system startup list so that it will be
activated prior to starting Seaside and SqueakSource. This will make it
more likely that VNC access will be maintained the next time a problem
like this happens.

	Smalltalk addToStartUpList: RFBServer after: ModDoc.

Dave