[Box-Admins] Disk space usage on box3

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 17 00:32:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 05:10:18PM -0600, Ken Causey wrote:
> The disk space on box3 is beginning to get dangerously low on filesystem
> space.  At the moment it is 94% full with 3.8GB of free space.  Lately
> it seems to increase 1% every 2 or 3 days.
>
> Primary offenders seem to be
>
> /var/lib/jenkins/ 33GB
>
> /home/ssdotcom/ 18GB
>
> I hope one or both of you can find something to delete.

Most of the variation in disk usage is related to our Jenkins jobs. This
is to be expected, but it does mean that we will need to tend to the garden
and make sure that weeds do not take over. I have two suggestions:

1) Every Jenkins job has a description that is set up when we configure
the job. The description should (of course) explain the purpose of the job,
but it should also have some sort of tag line to identify the person who
is responsible for maintaining that job. For example, the description for
the InterpreterVM job includes this:

  "This Jenkins project is maintained by Dave Lewis (lewis at mail.msen.com)"

2) All of the jobs consume a fair amount of disk space, and it is pretty
easy to let this get out of control. I think this can usually be managed
in the Jenkins project configurations, so so need to keep an eye on the
high-usage jobs an fix up their settings accordingly.

Here is the current disk utilization for our Jenkins jobs:

jenkins at box3-squeak:~/workspace$ du -s *
204660  CogVM
260320  ExternalPackage-AndreasSystemProfiler
262948  ExternalPackage-Control
286952  ExternalPackage-FFI
392016  ExternalPackage-FileSystem
456600  ExternalPackage-Fuel
427560  ExternalPackage-Magma
256144  ExternalPackage-Nebraska
256184  ExternalPackage-Nutcracker
263092  ExternalPackage-OSProcess
228668  ExternalPackage-Phexample
256732  ExternalPackage-Quaternion
255692  ExternalPackage-RoelTyper
417300  ExternalPackages
414608  ExternalPackages-Metacello
255580  ExternalPackage-SqueakCheck
412592  ExternalPackages-Squeak4.3
338264  ExternalPackages-Squeak4.4
256288  ExternalPackage-Universes
255752  ExternalPackage-WebClient
256268  ExternalPackage-XML-Parser
444996  ExternalPackage-Xtreams
387160  ExternalPackage-Xtreams-FileSystem
256144  ExternalPackage-Zippers
384448  InterpreterVM
205396  LatestReleasedVM
5370500 ReleaseSqueakTrunk
127408  Squeak 64-bit image
766392  SqueakTrunk
291772  SqueakTrunkOnBleedingEdgeCog
412972  SqueakTrunkOnInterpreter
419892  SqueakTrunkPerformance

At the moment, the ReleaseSqueakTrunk job is using a lot of space, and
this is mostly due to saved images in its ./target directory. Most likely
we can purge out some of the older images to free up some space.

DAve