[Box-Admins] Disk space usage on box3

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Nov 18 12:38:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:02:17AM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 17 November 2013 00:32, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 05:10:18PM -0600, Ken Causey wrote:
> >> The disk space on box3 is beginning to get dangerously low on filesystem
> >> space.  At the moment it is 94% full with 3.8GB of free space.  Lately
> >> it seems to increase 1% every 2 or 3 days.
> >>
> >> Primary offenders seem to be
> >>
> >> /var/lib/jenkins/ 33GB
> >>
> >> /home/ssdotcom/ 18GB
> >>
> >> I hope one or both of you can find something to delete.
> >
> > Most of the variation in disk usage is related to our Jenkins jobs. This
> > is to be expected, but it does mean that we will need to tend to the garden
> > and make sure that weeds do not take over. I have two suggestions:
> >
> > 1) Every Jenkins job has a description that is set up when we configure
> > the job. The description should (of course) explain the purpose of the job,
> > but it should also have some sort of tag line to identify the person who
> > is responsible for maintaining that job. For example, the description for
> > the InterpreterVM job includes this:
> >
> >   "This Jenkins project is maintained by Dave Lewis (lewis at mail.msen.com)"
> >
> > 2) All of the jobs consume a fair amount of disk space, and it is pretty
> > easy to let this get out of control. I think this can usually be managed
> > in the Jenkins project configurations, so so need to keep an eye on the
> > high-usage jobs an fix up their settings accordingly.
> >
> > Here is the current disk utilization for our Jenkins jobs:
> >
> > jenkins at box3-squeak:~/workspace$ du -s *
> > 204660  CogVM
> > 260320  ExternalPackage-AndreasSystemProfiler
> > 262948  ExternalPackage-Control
> > 286952  ExternalPackage-FFI
> > 392016  ExternalPackage-FileSystem
> > 456600  ExternalPackage-Fuel
> > 427560  ExternalPackage-Magma
> > 256144  ExternalPackage-Nebraska
> > 256184  ExternalPackage-Nutcracker
> > 263092  ExternalPackage-OSProcess
> > 228668  ExternalPackage-Phexample
> > 256732  ExternalPackage-Quaternion
> > 255692  ExternalPackage-RoelTyper
> > 417300  ExternalPackages
> > 414608  ExternalPackages-Metacello
> > 255580  ExternalPackage-SqueakCheck
> > 412592  ExternalPackages-Squeak4.3
> > 338264  ExternalPackages-Squeak4.4
> > 256288  ExternalPackage-Universes
> > 255752  ExternalPackage-WebClient
> > 256268  ExternalPackage-XML-Parser
> > 444996  ExternalPackage-Xtreams
> > 387160  ExternalPackage-Xtreams-FileSystem
> > 256144  ExternalPackage-Zippers
> > 384448  InterpreterVM
> > 205396  LatestReleasedVM
> > 5370500 ReleaseSqueakTrunk
> > 127408  Squeak 64-bit image
> > 766392  SqueakTrunk
> > 291772  SqueakTrunkOnBleedingEdgeCog
> > 412972  SqueakTrunkOnInterpreter
> > 419892  SqueakTrunkPerformance
> >
> > At the moment, the ReleaseSqueakTrunk job is using a lot of space, and
> > this is mostly due to saved images in its ./target directory. Most likely
> > we can purge out some of the older images to free up some space.

> [...]

The issue is that we are running out of disk space and need to take action.

In the project configuration for ReleaseSqueakTrunk, the following option
is *not* selected:

 	Discard all but the last successful/stable artifact to save disk space

Should this be changed?

The /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/target directory is using
the majority of the disk space for this job, and it looks to me like most
of this consists of transient files that could be deleted (or compressed).

I don't want to touch anything here without your approval.

Thanks,