[Box-Admins] Disk space usage on box3

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Nov 18 15:37:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 03:05:36PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 18 November 2013 14:53, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > But we need to deal with this in a sustainable way that does not require
> > manual intervention. In the case of ReleaseSqueakTrunk, possibly this can
> > be done by adding one more build step to the job that cleans up files
> > when the job is complete.
> >
> > Right now you have these two build steps:
> >  bundle install
> >  DEBUG=1 bundle exec rake release
> >
> > I don't know anything about ruby or rake but I am guessing that you might
> > be able to add one more build step that might look something like this:
> >
> >  bundle exec rake cleanup
>
> Close: "bundle exec rake clean release" will trash the target/
> directory. I don't do that by default because that means the task will
> compile an Interpreter VM. Or, if you prefer, adding "clean" trades
> CPU/load for disk space. (We need to compile an Interpreter VM because
> build.squeak.org's OS can't run a new Interpreter for lack of a recent
> glibc.)

I used checkinstall make a debian package for the interpreter VM, and
installed it on the system as package "squeakvm". Sorry if I did not
mention this earlier!

$ dpkg --list squeakvm
||/ Name                            Version                         Description
ii  squeakvm                        20131020-1                      Standard Squeak interpreter VM

That means that you can run /usr/local/bin/squeak for an interpreter VM,
and you do not need to compile it for the individual Jenkins jobs.

If you can change ReleaseSqueakTrunk job to use /usr/local/bin/squeak,
and then update the "bundle exec rake clean release" step, then you should
see the disk usage for this job go back down to a normal level.