[Box-Admins] Does source.squeak.org have the socket leak problem?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 2 15:17:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 03:09:21PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 2013-10-02, at 14:57, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm watching our squeaksource.com service, which is now running for
> > real on box3. Not unexpectedly, I see that it has a socket leak problem.
> > I know this has been discussed in the past, but I don't really recall
> > the status, hence my question:
> >
> > Does our source.squeak.org service have the socket leak problem?
> >
> > The symptoms are an accumulation of socket file handles as displayed
> > in the /proc/<vmpid>/fd/ directory, while the the image itself does
> > not have a corresponding accumulation of Socket instances. This is
> > an indication of the image discarding socket references without having
> > properly closed them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
>
> Nope:
>
> box2:~# ps ax | grep squeaksource
>  2224 ?        S      0:00 supervise squeaksource
>  2231 ?        S    889:25 /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.11.3-2135/squeakvm -pathenc UTF-8 -encoding UTF-8 -plugins /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.11.3-2135 -vm-display-none /home/squeaksource/Squeak3.11-8824-SS.image
> 24768 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep squeaksource
> box2:~# ll /proc/2231/fd/
> total 8
> lr-x------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 0 -> /dev/null
> l-wx------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 1 -> pipe:[4421]
> l-wx------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 2 -> pipe:[4421]
> lr-x------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 3 -> /home/squeaksource/ss/trunk
> lr-x------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 4 -> /home/squeaksource/SqueakV39.sources
> lrwx------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 5 -> /home/squeaksource/Squeak3.11-8824-SS.changes
> lrwx------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 6 -> socket:[19488796]
> lrwx------  1 squeaksource squeaksource 64 Oct  2 13:07 8 -> socket:[10334046]

Thanks Bert,

I was hoping that was the case. It sounds like I need to educate myself as
to how to migrate the old squeaksource.com to an image like the one we are
using for source.squeak.org.

Would you mind putting a copy of the image and changes files for source.squeak.org
on box3 so I can take a look at it (I don't have access to box2)? Thanks.

Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on the socket leak and restart the squeaksource.org
image as needed.  I'm guessing that this will be required about once per week
at the current rate of leakage.