[Box-Admins] Mail delivery for box N (was: box3.squeak.org off line)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 9 22:29:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:14:56AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 02:06:09PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> >>On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>
> >>
> >>Is SMTP support not already part of box3?  Seems like a relatively
> >>basic service we're gonna want at some point because we want to be
> >>focusing on transitioning all responsibilities away from box2 toward
> >>box3 and box4 anyway.
> >
> >No, mail is not installed on box3. I would be happy either way, all I
> >want is a place to route the mail and currently that seems to be box2.
> >I don't mind installing mail on box3 if that is the right thing to do,
> >but I would need some guidance as to what package to install (exim?).
> >I don't currently have access to box4 or box2, so I don't know our
> >current setup and I don't want to take a guess and install the wrong
> >package.
>
> AFAIK the services of box2 - including the email services - are planned to
> be moved to box4, and not to box3.
>

> Levente
>
> P.S.: IMHO properly installing and configuring a mailing system is rather
> hard. A small mistake can result in sending lots of spam in a very short
> time.

I think you are right, and I would prefer not to attempt setting up a
mailing system as part of my little "rescue squeaksource.com" project.

The existing mail service is on box2, so I will return to my original
request: If someone with knowledge of the mail system, and root access
to box2, could please allow mail to be delivered from box3, that would
be helpful. Whenever box2 moves to box4 I will update squeaksource.com
accordingly. This is not urgent (after all, most people will be glad to
be rid of spam from squeaksource), but if we could get it done in the
next week or two that would be great.

I would not mind helping to set up the replacement mail service on box4
at some point in the future, but I have neither the time nor the ability
to take it on right now.