[Box-Admins] The technical side of the status of things

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Oct 10 15:04:17 UTC 2013

I'm going to try to summarize as simply as I can the servers statuses,
the original plan, modifications to the plan, and what has been done.

First our assets:

Hetzner - box2.squeak.org (85.10.195.197) - Our aging outgoing server
that has been our singular server for many years now and hosted all
online services.

Stats: ancient version of Debian, full hardware server, 1GB RAM, 150GB HD

Gandi.net - box3.squeak.org (173.246.101.237) - This server was
originally allocated and setup at the request of Frank for use as a
continuous integration server and hosts build.squeak.org, a Jenkins
instance. As far as I am concerned this is still the primary purpose of
this server. Currently this is also hosting our 'recovered'
squeaksource.com. David can speak to details about the plan for this.

Stats: current and up to date Debian Squeeze (32bit), virtual server,
1GB RAM, 60GB HD

Gandi.net - box4.squeak.org (173.246.104.42) - This server is intended
to be the primary replacement host for box2.squeak.org. I'll speak more
to the status of this server below.

Stats: current and up to date Debian Wheezy (64bit), virtual server, 4GB
RAM, 100GB HD

Both Gandi.net virtual servers are provided kindly by Gandi.net at no
charge and through an agreement and with the assistance of the Software
Freedom Consortium and Bradley Kuhn.

The plan:

In brief the goal is to replicate all existing services hosted by the
old server using primarily box4 and secondarily box3. My intention had
been to setup mailman and mailing list hosting on box3 to reduce the
load on box4. However this was prior to setting up squeaksource.com on
box3 and so this is now unlikely without changes.

The intention is to use up to date software and use leaner software when
possible, for example: nginx for top-level HTTP, qmail for SMTP, djbdns
for DNS, etc. Both classic Squeak VM and Cog VM would be available.
Super user access is consistently through sudo which logs actions in
case of problems. Every individual with access to the server will have
their own personal account. How to handle access to 'shared' resources
is still somewhat to be determined.

On both servers an administrative log is being kept in
/root/admin-log.txt with a hopefully consistent format and under RCS.
Those with access should feel free to review these for more detail.

DNS (djbdns) has been setup on both box3 and box4. box4 is the primary
DNS and box3 the secondary and automatically updates from box4. Repeated
emails to the holders of squeak.org and squeakfoundation.org to update
the root servers to point to these have met with total silence. This has
been frustrating.

Daemontools has been installed and whenever 'service' software needs to
be maintained and does not come with ready support for init, Daemontools
can and should be used.

Whenever software needs to be installed which is not readily installable
via apt-get (or a newer version is desired) checkinstall should be used
to build and install a debian package so that all installed software can
be consistently managed.

Classic SqueakVM 4.10.2.2614 was built and a debian package produced and
installed. Some testing was done but issues may remain and a newer
version may well be available.  All .sources files were placed in a
central location so that none should be needed per project. This will
need to be updated (links?) whenever a new VM version is installed.

NTP server was installed.

Nginx was installed on box4 but little configuration has been done.

I repeatedly tried to build and install Cog but ran into multiple
problems. Even beyond build problems one issue is that Cog is built to
name the executable squeak and as such collides with the Classic VM.
Having both VMs seems necessary given the age of some of the Squeak
hosted services. Having Cog is desirable for more recent services and
updates to the old ones.

Note that work on both VMs was some time back and the issues I had would
need to be revisited and evaluated.