[Box-Admins] Did my CogVM job get hijacked on build.squeak.org?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Sep 20 12:39:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:43:06AM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 20 September 2013 04:02, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:27:11PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >> I am seeing console output like this:
> >>
> >> http://build.squeak.org/job/CogVM/335/console
> >>
> >> Construction ?? distance sur lfpdeb64 in workspace /home/tonyg/jenkins/workspace/CogVM
> >>
> >> So how did a job that I set up to run on build.squeak.org end up getting
> >> executed on a remote machine in an inappropriate environment?
> >>
> >> I am guessing that the job got assigned to the lfpdeb64 slave machine
> >> of Tony Garnock-Jones, but I cannot see how or why that happened. Any
> >> ideas?
> >>

> > Sorry to reply to my own question, but I think I see the problem. We have
> > added slaves to the Jenkins configuration, and Jenkins attempts to assign
> > jobs to available servers, so jobs that I had originally set up on the
> > build.squeak.org master are now being assigned elsewhere. I need to configure
> > the InterpreterVM and CogVM jobs to run only on the master, which is a
> > configuration setting in Jenkins for each of these jobs.
>
> To be specific, Jenkins will run a job on an "appropriate" slave,
> where "appropriate" means "the tags on the job match the tags on the
> slave". So if you need to run a job on a FreeBSD machine, set the
> "label expression" field to "freebsd".
>
> For CogVM you could use "linux && 32bit", unless you specifically want
> to run the job on only build.squeak.org, in which case just leave the
> field the way you have it :)

I understand now. I have changed both jobs to force running on "master".

Both of these jobs generate VM source tarballs, but they also run a compile
step to verify that the sources are reasonably sane (for example, a change
in VMMaker that affects the code generator can easily cause a failure).
The compile check requires various development libraries to be present on
the system, so it is not appropriate to run this on an arbitrary slave.