[Box-Admins] Starting squeaksource behind port 80 on box3

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Sep 23 17:49:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 02:36:08PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2013-09-23, at 14:22, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> > What Bert ment here, is Monticello access _from_ the image on the box _to_ some other
> > repo. As long as http is working, MC _to_ the image will be fine, anyway.
> >
> > Best
> > 	-Tobias
>

> I'm pretty sure Dave understood :) It's just accidental he uses a repo that happens to be on the same machine, perhaps even served by the same image.

Bert,

You are giving me way too much credit ;-)

FYI, this is my "punch list" of things to do for the squeaksource.com
migration, where '#' means that the item is done. We now have a running
copy of squeaksource.com, and I think we are close to a point where
we can consider making the DNS switchover. Some of the items on the list
(e.g. configure and enable outbound mail) can reasonably be finished
after the switchover is done.

# - Obtain SS copy (complete)
# - Unpack and run locally (complete, brought image up to date with repo)
# - Fix problems with reloading repository at image start (worked around
#   it, conflict between author initials as they appear in file name versus
#   in the MCZ zip versus registered user initials, multi-byte characters
#   trigger the bug).
# - Identify server (not done, awaiting box-admin guidance) (no help, so
#   took an executive decision to run it on box.squeak.org, should be good
#   enough for the transition)
# - Upload to squeak.org (partly done, full copy is on box3 in ~lewis/SqueakSource)
# - Verify headless operation on squeak.org (complete)
# - Create squeaksource account on boxN, install in suitable directory
#   (using box3 for now, account is called 'ssdotcom'
# - Verify and/or provide suitable VM on boxN (use the installed interpreter VM)
# - Implement auto-start / restart (use procedure from source.squeak.org
#   if possible) (wrote a new one for now, called runimage.sh).
  - Wire the auto start into cron or system start scripts
# - Implement apache front end (help needed, I don't know how this is
#   done) (Thanks Tobias and Levente)
# - Configure and enable proxy server in image (related to apache?) (not required)
  - Test mail agent, configure email targets
  - Set time zone in image (property in the repository)
# - Add some kind of image save for persistence (fixed - needed to schedule
#   save in UI thread)
  - Update introText (need input from SCG, provide credit and thanks)
  - Turn on mail delivery
  - Switch the DNS entry
  - Update DNS entry owner/caretaker?
  - Announce availability
  - Document the support process
  - Identify process owner for support ongoing (may be dtl for now)
  - Kudos and thanks to SCG