[Box-Admins] Re: [Pharo-dev] Please delete .mcz file in http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository (fwd)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 4 00:53:06 UTC 2014

Hi Levente,

FYI, I keep a README file in the home directory of the ssdotcom account on
box3.squeak.org. This is more or less like our admin log for root on the Squeak
boxes. The most recent two entries in that README are:

  -----------------

  Mon Feb 17 18:13:06 EST 2014
  Added Dave Lewis (dtl) as superuser in the squeaksource.3.image. The
  SSMembers with superuser access are now Adrian Lienhard, Fabrizio Perin,
  Lukas Renggli, and Dave Lewis.

  -----------------
  Fri Oct 24 02:56:15 CEST 2014 lewis
  With permission of Squeak Oversight Board, meeting of 16-Oct-2014, I am
  enabling project creation for the repository. This is done by setting
  the #allowRegisterProject property of the repository to true. There will
  be no change to the welcome text that encourages users to go elsewhere,
  but if someone tries to create a project, squeaksource.com will not actually
  prevent them from doing so.

So that means that I took the liberty of adding myself as a "squeaksource
administrator" earlier this year. The other administrators (Adrian, Fabrizio,
and Lukas) have probably long since forgotten about this, so I guess that
makes me the administrator.

The other change is that I removed the restriction on creating new projects.
If you were to create a new project, it would work. But the welcome text on
the home page is unchanged, and it still tells people to go somewhere else.

Note, I was using the admin access for squeaksource.com, which gives me
"superuser" access. But the actual Metacello Repository project on squeaksource
has a number of administrators (Esteban Lorenzano, Michael Rueger, Marcus Denker,
Adrian Lienhard, Mariano Martinez Peck, Torsten Bergmann, Stephane Ducasse),
and I assume that any of them would be able to handle an issue like this
also.

A good deal of the activity on squeaksource.com comes from the Pharo
community, although I don't think they realize it. I suspect the reason
they don't notice is that it is quite reliable now, so nobody pays attention
to it any more. That's my favorite kind of customer feedback - a system
that is so stable that nobody remembers it is there :-)

Dave