[Box-Admins] Re: [squeak-dev] squeaksource down?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 21 23:59:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 10:06:20PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> The problem was that an error occured, so Seaside was trying to send an
> email about it. But generating the stack trace for the email resulted in
> another error. This recursively triggered another attempt to create an
> email. The runaway process consumed 850MB of memory, and did not trigger
> the low space watcher, probably because it was a low priority (30) process
> (probably a Seaside request handler).
> Someone who's more familiar with Seaside should fix this issue. There may
> even be a patch for this in the official repository.
>
> To fix the problem, I downloaded the image, terminated the runaway
> process, saved it as a new version, and uploaded it. Then I stopped the
> service, modified it to use the new image, and restarted it.

Levente,

That was exactly the right thing to do. The fixed image that you have
restarted under a new version name (squeaksource.4.image) is as up to
date as it is possible to be, because the running image saves itself
hourly. You also left the problem image (squeaksource.3.image) intact
so that it can be downloaded be other people to investigate.

> I assume this has no side effects, but it would be great if someone more
> familiar with the image could take a look.

You are right, this should have no bad side effects.

I am downloading the big squeaksource.3 image and I'll look and see if
I can spot anything more about the cause (but I am not a Seaside expert
either). I'll also gzip the old image file so it does not take up lot of
space on box3.

I'm sorry I was not around to help out, but you handled the issue perfectly.
Thank you very much!