[Box-Admins] Re: [squeak-dev] squeaksource down?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 22 00:20:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 03:43:50PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion.  Do we have a recent backup of the image
> prior to the 1GB growth?  My memory of the backup process is that it
> maintains about 5 generations spanning the last 5 days?

No, the squeaksource.com image saves itself every hour. There are no other
versions saved by the backup process in the image. I do not know if there
are actual backups available for the box3 server itself.

I do occasionally make a manual backup of the image, and keep it in the
directory ~ssdotcom/SqueakSource/BACKUPS. This serves only to keep an
ad-hoc snapshot every once in a while, e.g. if some change was being made
to the image overall. These backups are not intended for failure recovery,
although it may be worth knowing that they exist.

In this case, the hourly backup worked as intended. The saved image was
functional, and Levente fixed the problem off line. The resulting fixed
image lost no data.